I recently had a successful yard sale for a client here in Mt. Pleasant and thought I would share some tips.
1. Sort and categorize your items.
*sell online (craigslist, ebay, Facebook)
2. If possible have a dealer look over your things to determine value (usually they will do this for free if they have opportunity to purchase.)
3. Price to sell! Remember the goal is to have everything gone. People are looking for bargains!
4. Set your date and advertise thoroughly.
*newspaper classifieds, craigslist, facebook, etc. Make sure to post lots of pictures for your online ads and take the time to stage things so they look appealing.
*put up clear and concise signage.
5. Have two banks each with 50 one dollar bills. I like to keep my money in a zip up cross body bag to keep everything secure. Additionally make sure your helpers are dependable and trustworthy.
6. On the day of your sale begin setting up two hours before the advertised start time. Be ready to go at least one hour before advertised start time. Inevitably you will have some early birds and you don’t want to turn anyone away.
7. Arrange for pick up of unsold items to be donated to your favorite charity!
Yard sales are a great way to de-clutter and make some cash. Have fun!